As we’re nearing the end of April, it looks like the warm weather is finally here to stay. That means it’s time to do all the things you neglected when you had winter as an excuse. At the top of many people’s list is some form of spring cleaning, and it’s important not to forget to include your vehicle. Your car goes through a lot year-round, but it’s hit especially hard during the colder months when no one wants to be outside performing any kind of vehicle care. In order for your car to maintain its optimal performance and longevity, however, it’s necessary to make regular care a priority, and spring car care is particularly important before you head out for those summer trips. Spring car care is more than just a good wash and wax. It’s an all-over check to make sure your vehicle is and will continue to be in good condition. See our suggestions below.
Vehicle Care Checklist for Spring
Use this simple checklist to give you peace of mind on the road through spring and summer.
- Check your tire pressure. This pressure increases as temperatures get warmer. Going beyond your vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation can negatively affect your car’s fuel economy and driveability.
- Clean and inspect your wiper blades. Between the ice and pollen, your wiper blades have likely gone through a lot by this point. Check to make sure there’s no cracking or splitting, and clean them well to ensure their dependability for summer storms. Replace them if needed.
- Change your oil and filter. Staying within the suggested oil-change intervals for your vehicle is vital to maintaining a healthy engine.
- Top off your fluids. No one wants to stand outside looking under their hood in the winter, so it’s likely your fluids have been a little neglected. Check your power steering, brake, and transmission fluids, as well as your windshield washer fluid and coolant.
- Check your tires. Not only is maintaining proper pressure important, but it’s a good idea to check them for any irregular wear and to make sure your tread and overall tire surface is in good shape to secure your safety.
- Test your battery. Cold weather isn’t a friend to your battery, as you may have figured out if you came out one morning to find your car wouldn’t start. Check to make sure your battery is clean and properly mounted, and replace it if it’s more than five years old.
- Make sure your lights work. Your lights play a big role in how you communicate with other drivers on the road. Ensure they’re all working properly, and give them a good clean to remove the film snow and road salt may have caused.
- Check your AC. Your air conditioning probably hasn’t been used in quite a while. Test it out to detect any issues before hot weather comes and you’re left sweating on the way to the auto shop.
- Inspect your belts and hoses. Check your hoses for any visual damage, and check your belts for any cracks or looseness.
- Check your filters. To ensure your vehicle’s performance for the long haul, make sure your engine air filter, cabin air filter, and fuel filter aren’t damaged or clogged.
A little care goes a long way when it comes to the safety, efficiency, and longevity of your vehicle. Make sure to give your care the attention it needs this spring to get it ready for summer traveling, and if you need help, give us a call at Wheeling Auto Center in Arlington Heights to get your car in shape quickly by a team you can always trust!
We live in an era of DIY projects. Thanks to the internet’s infinite supply of tutorial articles and how-to videos and TV’s steady stream of how-it’s-done shows, many people today attempt to tackle a wide range of tasks without any former experience. The desire and initiative to learn to do something yourself and reap the fruits of your own labor are often a great thing. However, there are some projects that are better left to a professional for good reason. Oil changes tend to be one of them for most people.
Your oil plays a pretty important role in your car’s performance and longevity. Changing it out improperly can lead to an inconvenient lesson about how much DIY is too much. Your vehicle’s oil is responsible for keeping engine parts lubricated and working correctly. It also cleans and cools yours engine, keeping it from overheating and extending its life. When oil gets old and dirty, it loses these abilities, as well as the ability to get you better gas mileage, cleaner full emissions, and more, so it’s important to stay on top of it. Plus, if your vehicle is still under warranty, regular oil changes may be required to maintain warranty benefits.
Most manufacturers recommend changing your oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Check your owner’s manual to be sure, and if you’re due, our team at Wheeling Auto Center in Arlington Heights can get you in and out quickly and hassle-free.
Why Leave Oil Changes to a Shop Near You?
There are several cases for why you shouldn’t take your car’s oil change needs into your own hands, starting with:
- A professional can offer convenience. Performing an oil change yourself is anything but convenient. It’s time consuming and requires you to get pretty dirty and uncomfortable. An auto center does the job multiple times a day and can get your oil change taken care of quickly, often for roughly the same cost as doing it yourself.
- You won’t have to buy materials. An oil change requires more than just oil. You’ll need to purchase an oil drain pan, a car jack stand, a funnel, and rubber gloves at minimum to do a quality job. An auto shop already has everything, sparing you the investment. Plus, they’ll also have any replacement parts you may need.
- You can ensure it’s done correctly. Second guessing and hoping for the best aren’t what you want to happen when it comes to operating something as important as your vehicle. Letting a professional handle the job means you can almost bet the end result will be reliable. If not, fixing it will be on the shop, not you.
- Auto shops provide extra perks. When you take your car in for something as routine as an oil change, the auto center will likely help you out with a couple other items if they’re available to, like topping off your car’s fluids or rotating your tires. Why not go ahead and let them knock those off your to-do list?
- Changing your oil must be done safely. A big reason to take your vehicle to an expert for your regular oil change is increased safety. Not only is oil messy, it’s also hot for a while after you run your engine, and disposal of it must be done according to standards. Jacking your car up is also a huge hazard if not done correctly, resulting in you being pinned under your car or worse if it falls.
For a safe, fast, and always accurate oil change in the Arlington Heights area, you can always count on Wheeling Auto Center. Our experienced team is second to none, and we make your wait as comfortable as possible. Give us a call or schedule your oil change appointment online today.