We live in an era of DIY projects. Thanks to the internet’s infinite supply of tutorial articles and how-to videos and TV’s steady stream of how-it’s-done shows, many people today attempt to tackle a wide range of tasks without any former experience. The desire and initiative to learn to do something yourself and reap the fruits of your own labor are often a great thing. However, there are some projects that are better left to a professional for good reason. Oil changes tend to be one of them for most people.
Your oil plays a pretty important role in your car’s performance and longevity. Changing it out improperly can lead to an inconvenient lesson about how much DIY is too much. Your vehicle’s oil is responsible for keeping engine parts lubricated and working correctly. It also cleans and cools yours engine, keeping it from overheating and extending its life. When oil gets old and dirty, it loses these abilities, as well as the ability to get you better gas mileage, cleaner full emissions, and more, so it’s important to stay on top of it. Plus, if your vehicle is still under warranty, regular oil changes may be required to maintain warranty benefits.
Most manufacturers recommend changing your oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Check your owner’s manual to be sure, and if you’re due, our team at Wheeling Auto Center in Arlington Heights can get you in and out quickly and hassle-free.
Why Leave Oil Changes to a Shop Near You?
There are several cases for why you shouldn’t take your car’s oil change needs into your own hands, starting with:
- A professional can offer convenience. Performing an oil change yourself is anything but convenient. It’s time consuming and requires you to get pretty dirty and uncomfortable. An auto center does the job multiple times a day and can get your oil change taken care of quickly, often for roughly the same cost as doing it yourself.
- You won’t have to buy materials. An oil change requires more than just oil. You’ll need to purchase an oil drain pan, a car jack stand, a funnel, and rubber gloves at minimum to do a quality job. An auto shop already has everything, sparing you the investment. Plus, they’ll also have any replacement parts you may need.
- You can ensure it’s done correctly. Second guessing and hoping for the best aren’t what you want to happen when it comes to operating something as important as your vehicle. Letting a professional handle the job means you can almost bet the end result will be reliable. If not, fixing it will be on the shop, not you.
- Auto shops provide extra perks. When you take your car in for something as routine as an oil change, the auto center will likely help you out with a couple other items if they’re available to, like topping off your car’s fluids or rotating your tires. Why not go ahead and let them knock those off your to-do list?
- Changing your oil must be done safely. A big reason to take your vehicle to an expert for your regular oil change is increased safety. Not only is oil messy, it’s also hot for a while after you run your engine, and disposal of it must be done according to standards. Jacking your car up is also a huge hazard if not done correctly, resulting in you being pinned under your car or worse if it falls.
For a safe, fast, and always accurate oil change in the Arlington Heights area, you can always count on Wheeling Auto Center. Our experienced team is second to none, and we make your wait as comfortable as possible. Give us a call or schedule your oil change appointment online today.