What’s Wrong with My Air Conditioning?
It’s no fun to be in a car without air conditioning on a sticky, hot summer day. It’s not only uncomfortable but it’s also dangerous!
Before summer really arrives, be sure your vehicle’s air conditioner is ready to handle the heat. This is especially important this year, as many of us have not driven much over the last 14 months. Out of sight, out of mind can mean your A/C system may not work when temps rise.
How can you check if your car’s air conditioner will keep you cool? The next time you’re in the car, turn on your A/C for a minute and put your hand over the vents. Cool or cold air? Your system is working.
Hot air? You might have a problem. Read on for some common reasons why.
5 common car air conditioner problems
These are some common problems that affect cars’ air-conditioning systems:
- Leaking or low refrigerant. If your refrigerant level is low, your system can’t cool the air properly. On average, refrigerant levels decrease by about 15% annually.
- Clogged condenser. Your condenser re-cools the refrigerant so it can keep doing its job. Sometimes it gets blocked by road debris or buildup. Unblocking it gets the system working again.
- Failed compressor. The compressor keeps the cool air circulating. If it can’t move air, your car is going to be hot. Compressors often stop working after sitting dormant for too long, which is why you should run your system weekly for a few minutes.
- Faulty cooling fan. The fan expels the hot air from your car. We will verify it is functioning correctly.
- Funky or stale smell. Bacteria and fungi love dark, moist spots—and if you don’t run your air conditioner regularly, they can build up in the system behind your dashboard.
Check Your A/C
You should check your car’s air-conditioning system all year-round. Simply turn on the system with the fan on maximum speed and run it for a minute or two. Using your HVAC controls regularly for 5-10 minutes throughout all seasons will help you keep your car cleaner and fresher smelling.
That’s all it takes. Stay safe and cool—it’s time to schedule service if you’ve noticed any problems.
At Wheeling Auto Center, we’re committed to making your visit convenient, easy and safe with three options: night drop, curbside service, and free pickup/delivery to your home. We offer a new, industry-leading 4-year/50,000-mile warranty and complimentary loaner vehicles. Call us at (847) 259-3776 or schedule your appointment online today.